Logo Click For Main Index
Logo Click For Main Index
War Memorial Bangor-on-Dee — Bangor-Is-Y-Coed North Wales.
Dedication of Bangor-on-Dee War Memorial Sunday 24th May 1925

Soon after the Great War of 1914-1918 the parishioners, councilors and the friends of those who had fallen decided that it would be appropriate to erect a memorial to the young man of the parish who gave their lives.

For a small parish the loss was great, 23 lives given for their country and future generations.

Although no records are available it appears that a committee chaired by Rev. F. J. Okell, was elected and opened a fund to erect a memorial.  The cost is not known but must have been substantial.  The collection must have taken quite some time as the first mention of the erection of a memorial is in a newspaper in March 1925.

The War Memorial will be a circular column of Woolton red sandstone on which will be enscribed the names of the fallen.  The column will be crowned with a figure representing mourning and will be set in a semi-circular stone bend on which a dedicatory inscription will be placed.

The design has been entrusted to Mr. H. Tyson Smith of Liverpool.
Herbet Tyson Smith: Sculptor;
Honorary instructor in Craftsmanship at Liverpool University School of Architecture.
Liverpool born and educated at Liverpool University.  Exhibited at W. A. G. Sandon Studios. Soc. Allied Artists.
Principal Works: Sculptured portions of Accrington, Southport, Birkenhead and G.P.O. Liverpool War Memorials.

Bangor Parish Council Minutes 16th December 1918

A circular was read with reference to the War Memorials.  The Rev. Paterson proposed that the Council should only promise to support the funds which were devoted to the Prisoner's of War Fund and the Royal Welch Fusiliers War Memorial Fund, and their families only, which was seconded by Councilor Job L. Lea and carried unanimously

Bangor Parish Council Minutes 15th April 1921

A Parish Council meeting was held in the Schoolroom Bangor on Friday 15th April, 1921 at 7.0. o'clock when the following members were present: - C. J. Mort, S. E. Owen, J. C. Mort, J. E. Foster, J. Spoor and the clerk.

The clerk next read over a circular together with three letters containing a memorandum of suggestions for local organisations with the preservation and classification of local War Records.

A lengthy discussion took place on the subject.  All the members were of the opinion that it would be impossible for them to give any War Records, that the only person who would be able to give an account would be the Rev. R. J. Patterson Morgan who had most of that work upon his hands during the War.  Now that he had left the Parish the only possible thing to be done would be to apply to him, on the matter.  It was proposed by Councilor J. Mort and seconded by Councilor E. Owen that the clerk should get into communication with the Rev. R. J. Patterson Morgan, Rector, and to ascertain his views on the subject - carried.

From an Article/News Report. The Leader (Wrexham) May 29th 1925.

Bangor-Isycoed War Memorial.

Over the years there have been many scenes witnessed in the ancient parish, some tragic but stirring, others pathetic, but it is questionable whether there had been more so than on Sunday, Empire Day, when practically the whole population of this scattered parish assembled at the village church to take part in the service of dedication and unveiling of the War Memorial, and to honour the memory of the Bangor lads who after a heroic struggle and patient endurance paid the supreme sacrifice in defence of their country.

There were so many people present that the church could not hold them and they lined the way to the middle of Bangor Bridge.

For the parish of Bangor the toll of death was heavy, and this is shown by the number of mural tablets that have recently been placed in the church.

One was placed by the Rev. R. J. B. and Mrs. Paterson Morgan (former Rector) in grateful remembrance of the 23 Bangor men who fell in the War.

Another by Mr. Oliver Ormrod of Pickhill Hall to the memory of three of his sons, a great loss, Lt. Col. Lionel James Ormrod, 12 Royal Lancers; Captain Oliver Hugh Hugh Ormrod, R.F.A. and R.F.C.; and Captain Lawrence Moreland Ormrod, M.C., R.W.F.

A third tablet to the memory of Roger Mansell William Fenwick, the younger son of Mrs. Fenwick, Plas Fron and the late Captain Fenwick R.W.F.

A fourth tablet was erected to the memory of Major Guy Winwood Gostage, the husband of Mrs. Costage, Gerwyn Hall.

and finally a fifth to the memory of Major Frank Stuart lloyd, R.W.F., the fifth son of Mr Frank Lloyd of Eton House.

At the last moment, the Archbishop of Wales was taken ill and was unable to take part in the dedication service as previously mentioned.  His place was taken by the Rev. R. J. B. Paterson Morgan (Sandway Lodge), a former Rector of the parish.  The other Clergymen who took part were the Rev. F. J. Okell, Rector, the Rev. Mordount Ebrington Bisset, a former Rector and Chaplain to the Guards, and the Rev. D Manuel Presbyterian Minister.

After the Special Lesson from the Book of Wisdom of Solomon (The Apocrypha) had been read, prayers were said and the hymn "Let Saints on earth in concert sing" had been sung, an excellent address was given by the Rev. Paterson Morgan, who based his remarks on the introductory verses of the 12th Chapter of St. Paul's Epistle to the Hebrews.  In conclusion he said they had met there that day to unveil and dedicate the War Memorial, and their minds naturally went back to 1914-1918 when the whole of civilisation passed through a veritable fellowship of death.  They remembered those who fell, and it was to their memory that they had raised the memorial.  The memorial they could raise to their memory was to live lives worthy of sacrifices made and to run the worthy race that was set before them, that the day was 24th May, Empire Day, the day that reminded all of their great past.  It is a great thing to be worthy of that past.  The men that they were remembering that day went out to build up their country's greatness.

The young men saw that their country's honour and freedom were at stake and her word had been plighted. Then they forsook all and laid aside everything to fight for right against right.

Each one of them from his place in Paradise was speaking to them that day, sending their message to the hearts of those assembled in the church.

"I fear no foe with Thee at hand to bless,
Ills have no weight and tears no bitterness;
Where is death's sting, where grave thy victory;
I triumph still if thou abide with me".

After the Address and hymn, "How bright these glorious spirits shine" had been sung, a procession was formed and proceeded to the War Memorial in the following order: -

The Band of the 4th Batt., R.W.F. under Bandmaster Delancy; ex-servicemen under Major Fenwick Palmer; the Choir; Clergy; Churchwardens; Major Hugh Peel; the relatives of the fallen; Girl Guides; School children; Oddfellows; and the rest of the congregation.

On arrival at the site of the War Memorial after a prayer had been offered, the Roll of Honour was read by the Rector, the Rev. F. J. Okell. Major Hugh Peel having unveiled the memorial and saluted it, said he was pleased to see so many friends there that day, and felt it a great privilege to have been asked to unveil the memorial to those whose names they had just heard read.  Most of them he had known very well, a number had been his friends and some of them he had the honour of serving with.  The memorial had been erected to their memory - could he use words from the ancient treatise, "So long as the sun shines and the river runs".  A more suitable day they could not have had for the ceremony, for had not Mr. Paterson Morgan in his address reminded all those gathered there that it was Empire Day, also it was a day of great importance to their non-conformist friends as it was the anniversary of the birth of John Wesley.

History showed them that after all great wars there had been periods of depression of trade and social unrest. Unfortunately it was so after the great war they had been passing through the most difficult times when the outlook had been black, but working together for the common good so that once again they might look forward to future peace and prosperity, profiting from the example shown by these men.  They would always remember these men, and the memorial would be a constant reminder to future generations of those who "were all honoured in their generations and were the glory of their times".

After the dedication the hymns "For all the Saints who from their labours rest" and "O God our help in ages past" were sung, a prayer was offered by the Rev D. Manuel and then followed the blessing.

The impressive ceremony was brought to a close with the singing of the National Anthem and the sounding of the Last Post and reveille by buglers of the band of the 4th Batt. R.W.F. from Wrexham Barracks.

Mr. J. J. Smith was at the organ, the band accompanied the hymns and the bells gave muffled peals.

The Roll of Honour reads as follows: -

* Pte. Edward Boffey - Yorkshire Light Infantry.
Pte. James Carr - R.W.F.
Brig. Gen. Robert Henry Dunn - R.W.F.
** Pte. Frederick Hugh Fearnall - 6th Queen's Royal West Surrey.
Pte. Roger Mansell William Fenwick - 1st Life Guards.
*** Pte. Thomas Ernest Goswell - Royal Warwick
Driver Henry George Gravenor - R.A.S.C., M.T.
Pte. Joseph Haycocks - R.W.F.
Pte. George Humphreys - Cheshire Regiment.
Pte. Harry Humphreys - Cheshire Regiment.
L.Cpl. John Arthur lloyd Jones - 1st Cheshires.
. Major Frank Stuart Lloyd - R.W.F.
Pte. Thomas Matthes - R.W.F.
Captain Lawrence Moreland Ormrod - R.W.F.
Captain Oliver Hugh Ormrod - R.F.A. and R.F.C.
Cpl. John Rees - R.W.F.
Pte. Harry Roberts - Worcester Regiment.
Pte. Harry Leo Rogers - Kings Liverpool Regiment.
Pte. Ernest Shone - Royal Berks.
Pte. William Edward Stant - R.W.F.
Pte. Thomas Edward Studley - Shropshire Light Infantry.
Pte. Thomas Edwin Williams - R.W.F.
Pte. Edgar Wilson - R.W.F.
* Surname given as Williams
** Not on War Memorial
*** Surname given as Lloyd

The Committee responsible for the Memorial Fund who carried out everything so well were:- Rev. F. J. Okell, Chairman; Major Fenwick Palmer, Hon. Treasurer; Mr. G. J. Moss, Hon. Secretary; Messrs. Geo. Humphreys, Clifford Twiss, W. Jones, Walter Young, F. E. Barlow, J. Matthews, Herbert Welbourn, Tom Blake, Arthur Done, R. Fernall, Vic. Lloyd, Allan Thomas, John Harrison, Arthur Fearnall, W. Morris, Captain Harrison, W. Dickin and Fred Cheetham.

Please note:  All images on this web site are copyright, please see copyright link for more information.
Go The Parish Church
Go The Bridge
Go Events & News
Go Hospitality
Go Bangor Monastery
Go Bangor Parish 1699
Go Aerial Photographs
Go Historic Snippet's
Go Local Links
Go Local Services
Go Johnson's Baskets
Go Medieval Tomb Stones
Go Presbyterian Church
Go Old Photographs
Go School Log Book
Go Ysgol Sant Dunawd
active section War Memorial
Go William Remembers
Go Village Policeman
Go Village Views
Go Village Map
Go Who's Who 1868-83
Go About This Site
Go Contact Information
Go Copyright Information
Go More Planefacts Sites
Logo Click For Main Index